The presidential papers of Katharine R. Sturgis span 1925 to
1986; the bulk of the collection dates from 1970 to 1974.
The papers reflect the activities of the College during
Sturgis's presidential term; included are records of
committee meetings, lectureship administration, donations
and bequests, and amendments to ordinances and by-laws.
Also present is a series of correspondence with the legal
counsel of the College.
Series 1, spanning 1925 to 1974, includes records of
donations and bequests made to the College. Present is
correspondence with the S. Weir Mitchell Associates, lists
of the journals they selected, and financial statements.
Also contained in Series 1 is correspondence with donors who
contributed chairs for the Samuel D, Gross Library or
donated to a fund in memory of David A. Cooper.
Included in Series 2 are records of amendments to the
ordinances and by-laws of the College. Also present are
Sturgis's own copies of the 1959 and 1972 Ordinances and ByLaws,
heavily marked with her holograph notes.
Correspondence with legal counsel, spanning 1935 to 1976, is
present in Series 3. Included are letters from Joseph
Carson, Eric A. McCouch, and Richard K. Stevens, all of whom
represented the College in legal matters over the years.
Topics discussed in the correspondence include investments,
trust funds, insurance, and the status of the College as a
tax-exempt, non-profit institution.
Series 4 provides information on lectureships and
lectureship administration. Present is correspondence with
lecturers, announcements, and historical notes. Transcripts
of lectures delivered by Gonzalo E. Aponte, Bruno
Bettelheim, Sidney Cohen, Donald B, Effler, Frank R. Ervin,
Richard J. Herrnstein, Paul Katin, Hugh L'Etang, Donald M.
Small, Stephen P. Strickland are included. The lectureship
administration records contain schedules of lectures,
financial statements, and membership lists of lecture
Records of various College committees, including the
Committee on Bequests, the Greater Philadelphia Committee
for Medical-Pharmaceutical Sciences, the Bicentennial
Committee, the Committee on Planning, the Search Committee,
and the Development Committee, are contained in Series 5.
Of note in the records of the Bicentennial Committee are the
transcripts of two "Bicentennial Lectures" Rene J, Dubas and
Paul R. Ehrlich and other material relating to the
activities of the committee as it prepared for the 1976
Bicentennial in Philadelphia. Also of note are the records
of the Search Committee; documented in these records is the
College's 1972 search for a new executive director. Vice
President John P. Hubbard is a significant correspondent.
Series 6 contains miscellaneous material, including
correspondence on the 1974 re-establishment of the Section
on General Medicine (which had been discontinued in 1966),
correspondence pertaining to the lease of the Erlanger
Garage (which was owned by the College), schedules of
College meetings and events, and miscellaneous printed