Manuscripts and Archives of the Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia

1851 Catalog of the Mütter Museum Edit

Summary

Identifier
CPP 7/001-01

Dates

  • 1849 – 1851 (Creation)

Extents

  • 1 volume (Whole)

Agent Links

Subjects

Notes

  • Biographical / Historical

    In 1849, following the proposal of Isaac Parrish, the College of Physicians of Philadelphia established a museum of pathological anatomy, the Pathological Cabinet, and elected a curator, John Neill, and a committee to oversee the museum. The duties of the curator were to receive, prepare, and exhibit specimens approved by the committee and maintain a catalogue with donor information and case descriptions. In 1863, the collections of the Pathological Cabinet were absorbed into the Mütter Museum and the curator became curator of the Mütter Museum.

  • Scope and Contents

    Volume contains descriptions, donor names, and case histories of pathological and anatomical museum specimens by John Neill, Curator of the Pathological Cabinet of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia, 1849-1851. The specimens are numbered 1-47; many were originally in the collection of Joseph Parrish and donated by his son, Isaac Parrish, who contributed several of the catalogue entries. Included are reports of the curator and several prints of specimens. At the end of the volume are printed lists of books and a manuscript circulation list of a private library.

    Printed versions of the catalogue entries and reports are contained in: Summary of the transactions of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia, vol. 3, [1851], and n.s., vol. 1, 1853.

Components