The Committee on College Collections of the College of
Physicians of Philadelphia was established in 1935.
According to the 1935 by-laws of the College of Physicians,
the committee, which reported to Council, had "general
supervision over and care for such objects in the ownership
or custody of the College" and was responsible for their
"preservation, exhibition, and use". In addition, the
committee recommended an individual to serve as the
Custodian of the College Collections. The committee,
consisting of three appointed members, held its first meeting
on 25 January 1935.
The Committee on College Collections was created to care for
objects belonging to the College proper, not the Mutter
Museum, such as medals, badges, paintings, photographs,
statues, busts, and the items displayed in the Abbe Cabinet.
The committee was responsible for the preservation, repair,
exhibition, loan, and cataloging of these objects. In
addition, the committee prepared deeds of gift, handled
insurance matters, and decided where objects would be placed
in the College building. Another aspect of the committee's
responsibilities was to examine all items presented to the
College of Physicians and recommend to Council whether the
items should be accepted or donated to a more suitable
Over the years, the Committee on College Collections worked
closely with the Committee on the Mutter Museum; by 1939, the
same Fellows served on both committees. The committees
shared letterhead and held their meetings on the same day,
but officially remained separate, with each preparing its own
minutes and reports. In 1990, the functions of both
committees were assumed by the Committee on Program.