Skip to main content

Records of the Office of the Secretary of the Philadelphia Laryngological Society

 Collection
Identifier: MSS 3/010
This small collection of corporate records and related material, 1941-1969, of the Philadelphia Laryngological Society was preserved by its secretary and historianlibrarian and documents the society's activities and later history.

The collection contains one minute book, 1941-1960 [disbound], which includes minutes of the Executive Committee, annual reports of the Secretary, and programs from the scientific sessions. The collection also includes nine folders of additional material, 1947-1969, including copies of the constitution and by laws; secretarial correspondence; minutes of the Executive Committee; reports of the historian librarian; membership lists and a sample membership certificate; and documentation concerning the society's application for tax exempt status, which includes copies of its charter of corporation and some financial reports. The reports of the historian librarian contain a copy of Herman B. Cohen's 1966 assessment of the society's status and his recommendations for its improvement.

Dates

  • 1941 - 1969

Creator

Extent

.4 Linear feet (1 box)

Biographical / Historical

The Philadelphia Laryngological Society was organized in Philadelphia on 20 September 1911; it was incorporated in 1929. The society's object was to foster the advancement of broncho esophagology, laryngology, otology, and rhinology through scientific discussion and presentations. Although the society claimed to be the "successor" to an earlier Philadelphia Laryngological Society which had been formed by J. Solis Cohen in 1880, there appears to be no historical relation between the two organizations.

Meetings of the Philadelphia Laryngological Society were often held in conjunction with the Section on Otolaryngology of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia. It is currently [1993] an active organization.

The membership of the Philadelphia Laryngological Society is drawn from, primarily, the Philadelphia area. By 1969, its officers included a president, vice president, secretary, treasurer, and historian librarian. The officers also served on an Executive Committee.

Custodial History

The records of the Philadelphia Laryngological Society were donated to the Historical Collections of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia by William V. Hostelley, Jr., son of the society's secretary, William V. Hostelley, who died in 1974. Most of the collection appears to have been assembled by Herman B. Cohen, the historian librarian, and transferred to the secretary, circa 1969.

The collection was processed and catalogued in 1991.
Title
Records of the Office of the Secretary of the Philadelphia Laryngological Society

Repository Details

Part of the Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia Repository

Contact:
19 S. 22nd Street
Philadelphia PA 19103 United States
215-399-2001