The Board of Managers of the Wills Hospital was created
in 1833 when the hospital was established. The Board, responsible
for the general administration of the hospital, consisted of
eighteen members who were appointed by the Philadelphia Select
and Common Councils. The Board of Managers existed until 1870,
when the City of Philadelphia took control of Wills Hospital.
At this time, the Board of Directors of City Trusts assumed
the responsibilities of the Board of Managers.
The officers of the Board of Managers consisted of a president,
a treasurer, a secretary, a steward, and a matron. The Board
also divided itself into several committees, including a Committee
on Property, a Committee on Purchases, and several Visiting
Committees. The Visiting Committees consisted of three members
who were elected each month on a rotating basis. They were
responsible for receiving applications for admissions, discharging
patients no longer in need of charity, making contracts and
purchases for the support of the hospital, and keeping an account
of their activities and expenditures.