Albert Morris Eaton was born in Philadelphia, December 21,
1849; he died on November 19, 1919.
Professionally, Eaton received his M.D. from Jefferson Medical College
in 1874. He became a Resident Physician at St. Mary's Hospital,
Philadelphia, from 1874 to 1875. In 1875, he was Assistant
Demonstrator of Surgery at Jefferson. In 1876, Eaton was Surgeon
to the Surgical Clinic at St. Mary's, and from 1877 to 1880,
he was surgeon to the Pennsylvania Railroad Company at Kensington.
In 1901, he was Surgeon to the Out Door Department at St. Mary's.
Eaton was very active in professional organizations and was
a member of the Philadelphia County Medical Society (PCMS); the Pennsylvania
State Medical Society; the Northwestern Medical Society of Philadelphia;
and the Medico Legal Society of Philadelphia. In 1908, Eaton
served as President to both the PCMS and M LS.
His connection with the Philadelphia County Medical Society
is particularly well documented. He campaigned in the cause
of legal defense for physicians, changed the by laws of the
society to admit physicians irrespective of medical school,
and, in 1901, organized the North Branch, the first of the
local branches of the PCMS.
In 1912, the Board of Directors of the PCMS approved the formation
of a Committee on Archives to seek out and preserve the historical
records of the society, its founders, and former presidents.
Eaton was appointed chairman of this committee and zealously
set about obtaining biographical information and photographs
of the founders and early officers of the society.