Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 17
Identifier: MSS 373
Overview Dr. Abraham Ornsteen’s medical notes and medical school pictures comprise the Abraham Ornsteen Papers collection. A Philadelphia neurologist and professor at the University of Pennsylvania, Dr. Abraham Ornsteen (September 30, 1894-April 28, 1978) gained notoriety for his clinical instruction which included some of the earliest medical instruction videos. This collection includes Dr. Ornsteen’s neurological notes, as well as class and professional portraits. This collection was discovered during...
Identifier: MSS 2/029
Overview The Albert S. Ashmead papers (1875-1910) is a fine collection documenting the professional experiences of a well-known American leprologist. The focus of the collection is Ashmead's correspondence with other leprologist and international figures concerning the 1897 Berlin lepra conference. The collection also contains manuscripts of Ashmead's articles, the text for an unpublished anthology on Japanese medicine, and research notes and translations of articles concerning leprosy and...
Identifier: MSS 2/344
Overview Edward Bell Krumbhaar (1882-1966) was a distinguished pathologist and cardiac physician, as well as one of Philadelphia’s leading historians of medicine. A founder of both the Section on Medical History of the College of Physicians and the American Association of the History of Medicine (AAHM), Krumbhaar also served as president of the College and of the AAHM. The E.B. Krumbhaar papers covers Krumbhaar’s accomplishments and contributions to pathology and cardiac physiology from the early to...
Identifier: MSS 2/251
Overview Ernest A. Spiegel, M.D., was an Austrian-born internationally recognized neurologist. He emigrated to the United States in 1930, where he spent much of his career at Temple University School of Medicine in Philadelphia. He finished his career at the National Parkinson FOundation in Miami. Spiegel is well-known for his work in developing the stereotactic technique. He passed away in 1985. The papers of Ernest Spiegel reflect his varied interests in neurological research and publication from his...
Identifier: MSS 2/184
Scope and Contents This collection contains professional, personal, and subject correspondence; financial and property papers; course material; discussions, book and article reviews, and miscellaneous writings; and extensive case records with indexes, documenting the life, interests, and neurosurgical career of Francis Clark Grant. Although the correspondence is incomplete (primarily 1923 to 1933), the discussions and reviews extend to 1949, and the case records span Grant's entire career, 1921-1957....
Identifier: MSS 2/228-01
Scope and Contents This collection is the larger of two collections of Francis C. Wood's papers, the other being MSS 2/0228-02. This extensive collection (1892-1989) chronicles the life and career of a 20th century physician, scientist, soldier, administrator, and teacher. The collection is divided roughly evenly among the different phases of his life and career. Because Dr. Wood was a leader in both his community and profession, the collection documents the activities and functioning of many institutions and...
Identifier: MSS 2/034
Scope and Contents This collection of correspondence, addresses, writings, and research materials documents Francis R. Packard's work with the history of medicine and his editorship of "The annals of medical history".Series 1 contains two collections of Packard's incoming correspondence (1893-1950) with occasional copies of his outgoing letters. Series 1.1 is filed alphabetically by name of correspondent; subjects include submissions to "The annals of medical history", inquiries concerning the...
Identifier: MSS 2/257
Scope and Contents The papers of George W. Binkley, spanning 1930 to 1974, document his career as a dermatologist, professor, and frequent contributor to dermatological publications; the collection also provides evidence of Binkley's special interest in skin diseases associated with diabetes. Included in the collection are personal papers, correspondence, records of Binkley's involvement in various professional organizations, his research materials on diabetes, and samples of his essays and speeches. ...
Identifier: MSS 2/030
Scope and Contents This extensive collection of Henry Hartshorne's papers documents his professional life and activities, concentrating on texts of his lecture courses to students and manuscripts of his published and unpublished writings.Series 1 consists of sketchy records of Hartshorne's private medical practice which began in 1848. The series contains a journal with a chronological account of his patients from the opening of the office until 20 October 1848. The journal includes financial...
Identifier: MSS 2/046
Scope and Contents The John Solis Cohen papers consist of five collections. This first collection contains correspondence, addresses, and published and unpublished manuscripts of articles and textbooks documenting J. Solis Cohen's research, labors, and concerns in the fields of laryngology and tuberculosis throughout most of his professional career. The other four collections consist of three volumes of scrapbooks the case of Emperor Frederick III of Germany and seven volumes of lecture notes.For a...
- Subject: Research notes X
- College of Physicians of Philadelphia 3
- Philadelphia General Hospital 2
- Spiegel-Adolf, Mona 2
- University of Pennsylvania 2
- University of Pennsylvania. School of Medicine 2
- Abbott, W. Osler (William Osler) 1
- American Academy of Dermatology. National Program for Dermatology. Division of Education and Communication 1
- American Association for the History of Medicine 1
- Anton, Aaron H. 1
- Ashmead, Albert S. 1
- Binkley, George W. (George Webster) 1
- Blum, B. (Baruch) 1
- Children's Hospital of Philadelphia 1
- Cohen, J. Solis (Jacob Solis) 1
- Frederick III, German Emperor 1
- Gamoran, Emanuel 1
- General Electirc Company 1
- Grant, Francis C. (Francis Clark) 1
- Hartshorne, Henry 1
- Haverford College 1
- Henry Phipps Institute 1
- Hollander, Joseph Lee 1
- Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. Medical Clinic. Gastro Instestinal Section 1
- Hughson, Walter 1
- International Society for Research in Stereoencephalotomy 1
- Krumbhaar, E. B. (Edward Bell) 1
- Long, Crawford Williamson 1
- Lurie, Max B. (Max Bernard) 1
- Medical School of Maine 1
- Medizinische Universität Wien 1
- Miller, T. Grier (Thomas Grier) 1
- Morris, Harrison S. (Harrison Smith) 1
- Morris, Lawrence Johnson 1
- National Parkinson Foundation (US) 1
- Ornsteen, Abraham 1
- Packard, Francis R. (Francis Randolph) 1
- Peirce, B. F. (Benjamin Franklin) 1
- Peirce, James 1
- Peirce, James H. (James Hamilton) 1
- Pennsylvania Hospital (Philadelphia, Pa) 1
- Pennsylvania School for the Deaf 1
- Pepper, William 1
- Philadelphia Council. Water Committee 1
- Radbill, Samuel X. 1
- Spiegel, Elise Fuchs 1
- Spiegel, Ernest A. (Ernest Adolf) 1
- Spiegel, Ignaz 1
- Temple University. School of Medicine 1
- U.S.A. General Hospital. 2nd Ward (Philadelphia, Pa.) 1
- United States. Army. 20th General Hospital 1
- United States. Army. Medical Officers 1
- University of Pennsylvania. Auxiliary Faculty of Medicine 1
- University of the City of New York. Medical Department 1
- Walter Reed Army Hospital (Washington, D.C.) 1
- Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania 1
- Wood, Francis C. (Francis Clark) 1
- Wycis, H. T. (Henry T.) 1 ∧ less