Skip to main content

H. Earnest Goodman lecture tickets

 Collection
Identifier: MSS 2/158
The H. Earnest Goodman Collection consists of two 1857 cards admitting Goodman to the lectures of D. Hayes Agnew on practical anatomy at the Philadelphia School of Anatomy, and of R. A. F. Penrose on obstetrics. There is also an 1858 matriculation card for courses at Edward Parrish's School of Practical Pharmacy. Although Goodman was a student in the Medical Department of the University of Pennsylvania at this time, the collection documents his attendence at courses outside the university curriculum.

Dates

  • 1857 - 1858

Creator

Extent

3 items

Biographical / Historical

Henry Earnest Goodman, ophthalmologist, was born on 12 April 1836 in Speedwell, Pennsylvania. He married the widow of John White Geary in 1874. Goodman died while running for train in Philadelphia on 3 February 1896.

Goodman received an M.D. from the University of Pennsylvania in 1859. He held internships at Philadelphia Hospital and Wills Eye Hospital. During the Civil War, Goodman served with the 8th Pennsylvania Cavalry, the 28th Pennsylvania Volunteers, and the U.S. Volunteers. From 1866 to 1873, Goodman was Port Physician at Philadelphia; he was also the Examining Surgeon for the U.S. Pension Bureau. He taught general, orthopaedic, and clinical surgery at the MedicoChirurgical College. Goodman was a founder, attending surgeon, and secretary at the Philadelphia Orthopaedic Hospital, a founder of the Maternity Hospital, and attending surgeon at Wills Eye Hospital.

Goodman was a member of the Pathological Society of Philadelphia, the Ophthalmological Society of Philadelphia, the Philadelphia County Medical Society, and the Medical Society of the State of Pennsylvania. He became a Fellow of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia in 1867.

Physical Location

Small collections

Custodial History

The source of the H. Earnest Goodman Collection is unknown.

The collection was processed and catalogued in 1990.
Title
H. Earnest Goodman lecture tickets

Repository Details

Part of the Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia Repository

Contact:
19 S. 22nd Street
Philadelphia PA 19103 United States
215-399-2001