Skip to main content

Collection of biographies of dermatologists

 Collection
Identifier: MSS 3/023
The collection contains correspondence, newspaper clippings, curriculum vitae, photographs, and printed material providing biographical information about United States and foreign dermatologists. The collections is arranged into 19 series, each covering a part of the alphabet. Materials are filed according to the dermatologist’s name.

Dates

  • 1923 - 1978
  • Majority of material found within 1971 - 1974

Creator

Extent

.2 Linear feet (1 half document box)

Biographical / Historical

The American Academy of Dermatology, a society of American dermatologists, was founded in 1938. The organization’s original name, the American Academy of Dermatology and Syphilology, was changed to its current form in 1961 when the Academy incorporated.

The Academy’s mission has been and still is educational, although today (1996) the organization also offers placement services to its members and maintains statistics regarding its membership and the specialty in general. The organization holds an annual meeting. In 1979, the Academy began publication of the medical periodical Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, which remains in publication. In 1949, the Academy’s goverance consisted of a board of directors, three standing committees, and special committees. The three standing committees were Committee on Education, Committee on Finance, and Committee on Membership. In 1975, a major reorganization of the Academy created a new four tier structure consisting of a Board of Directors, an Executive Committee and Finance Committee, Councils, and Committees. This structure continues today but consists of sections, councils, committees, and task forces. The original officers of the Academy included a President, Vice-President, Secretary-Treasure, and Assistant Secretary-Treasurer. In 1975, the position of President Elect was added and then in 1987, Vice-President Elect. Also, during its history, the officers of the Academy have included a Historian later replaced by an Archivist.

In 1996, the Academy’s officers consisted of a President, President Elect, Vice-President, Vice-President Elect, Secretary-Treasurer, Assistant Secretary-Treasurer, and Immediate Past President. Members of the Academy initially consisted of Fellows, Non-resident Fellows, Associates, Affiliates, Honorary Members, and Special Members. Today the categories remain the same except that Life Members have replaced Special Members. The organization has also added the category of Graduate Members. In 1939, the membership numbered 573. Since then, the number has grown considerably: 1800 in 1950, 2200 in 1961, 3000 in 1967, 4900 in 1978, 5400 in 1981, 6600 in 1985, and 9300 in 1995. For most of its history, the American Academy of Dermatology lacked paid full-time administrative staff. Its headquarters resided where the Secretary-Treasurer resided; therefore, the headquarters moved when a new Secretary-Treasuer took office. This situation changed as part of the restructuring in 1975. A paid full-time Executive Director was hired, an administrative staff assembled, and a permanent headquarters established in the Chicago (Ill.) area. At the same time, the Academy’s National Program for Dermatology (NPD), operating out of Charlottesville, N.C., was moved to the new permanent headquarters.

The rapid growth of the NPD had been a large stimulus behind the Academy’s restucturing of 1975. Today [1996] the Academy’s headquarters is still in the Chicago area, and the administrative staff has grown to nearly seventy.

Repository Details

Part of the Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia Repository

Contact:
19 S. 22nd Street
Philadelphia PA 19103 United States
215-399-2001