Philadelphia County Medical Society lease
Identifier: MSS 3/002-01
Scope and Contents
Counterpart of agreement between Philadelphia Medical Society and Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania for ten years’ rent of two rooms in Masonic Hall on Chestnut Street, between 7th and 8th Streets, Philadelphia, Pa. Term of lease begins 4 Dec. 1819. Signed by William P. Dewees, president of Philadelphia Medical Society. Bears seal of society.
- Freemasons. Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania (Organization)
Biographical / Historical
The Philadelphia Medical Society was established in 1789 and incorporated in 1792. It suspended regular meetings in 1845, revived in the 1850s, and finally was discontinued in 1868. Many of its activities were assumed by the Philadelphia County Medical Society. The society’s first president was Benjamin Rush. Membership consisted of junior members (students), senior members (graduates and practicing physicians), and honorary members. The society met in several places; from 1819 to 1839, it met at the Masonic Hall in Philadelphia. The motto of the society was "Ex collisione scintilla".
Language of Materials
- Philadelphia County Medical Society lease
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script