Skip to main content

Correspondence of the Office of the Treasurer

 Collection
Identifier: CPP 5/004-01
sent from the Treasurer of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia, 1877 Dec. 5-1904 Feb. 26, and folders of letters received with occasional letters sent by the Treasurer, 1877-1901. Most of the correspondence derives from the tenure of Charles Stewart Wurts, with some later material from treasurers Henry M. Fisher and Richard H. Harte.

The correspondence concerns annual appropriations to College committees; payment of annual dues and initiation fees of College Fellows; mortgages on properties owned by the College; and contributions to the Building Fund. There are several letters from new Fellows expressing pleasure at election as well as letters from Fellows forfeiting membership through neglect or inability to pay dues. Principal correspondents are William W. Keen, President of the College, and Charles W. Dulles and Thomas R. Neilson, secretaries.

Dates

  • 1877 - 1904

Creator

Extent

.4 Linear feet (1 box)

Biographical / Historical

The Office of the Treasurer of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia was established in the 1787 constitution and by-laws. The treasurer's original duties were to receive all College funds and pay all bills. In 1834, an annual financial report became a requirement of the office.

The 1882 by-laws give custody to the treasurer of all papers regarding College finances. By 1900, the custody of all the College's funds and securities and the ability to invest all permanent funds (under the direction of the Committee on Finance) had become the treasurer's chief responsibilities. In 1914, the custody of all real estate not currently occupied by the College also became an added duty, and the treasurer was to keep the accounts of the Office of the Secretary and all committees (with the exception of the Committee on the Mutter Museum) as well as pay all bills and receive any funds from the committees. The treasurer became an ex officio member of the College's Committee on Finance in 1925. The 1935 by-laws state that the treasurer is also to keep all deeds of gift, deeds of trust, and articles of agreement between donors and the College.

This is currently [1991] an active office.

Custodial History

This collection of correspondence from the Office of the Treasurer of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia appears to have been uncovered by Mark Graves as part of a cache of financial records stored in the basement of the College building at 19 South 22nd Street in September 1970.

The collection was originally accessioned into the Library in 1973. It was processed and recatalogued in 1992.
Title
Correspondence of the Office of the Treasurer

Repository Details

Part of the Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia Repository

Contact:
19 S. 22nd Street
Philadelphia PA 19103 United States
215-399-2001