Skip to main content

Records of the Office of Secretary-Treasurer of the Ophthalmic Club of Philadelphia

 Collection
Identifier: MSS 3/012
This small collection of miscellaneous records, 1922-1934, preserved by Jay Besson Rudolphy, Secretary Treasurer of the Ophthalmic Club of Philadelphia, documents the formation of the organization, its membership, and its typical activities. The collection includes a copy of the Club's constitution, financial reports, a membership list, several letters from newly elected members, a 1928 report of the Program Committee which describes plans for the coming year, and minutes of a meeting of the Executive Committee.

Dates

  • 1922 - 1934

Creator

Extent

1 folder (13 items)

Biographical / Historical

The Ophthalmic Club of Philadelphia was organized on 25 September 1922 to promote scientific interest in ophthalmology and fraternal cooperation among ophthalmologists. Its original officers were a chairman or president and a secretary treasurer; a Program Committee had the responsibility of arranging location of meetings and presentations. An Executive Committee was in existence by 1934.

The Ophthalmic Club of Philadelphia was active in 1975; its current status [1991] is unknown.

Custodial History

The records of the Ophthalmic Club of Philadelphia were donated to the Historical Collections of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia by Harold D. Barnshaw in 1977. The collection was formerly in the possession of Mrs. Jay Besson Rudolphy who gave it to Dr. Barnshaw in 1974.

The collection was processed and catalogued in 1991.
Title
Records of the Office of Secretary-Treasurer of the Ophthalmic Club of Philadelphia

Repository Details

Part of the Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia Repository

Contact:
19 S. 22nd Street
Philadelphia PA 19103 United States
215-399-2001