Showing Collections: 1 - 2 of 2
Identifier: MSS 6/005-04
Overview In September 1883, the Board of Guardians of Philadelphia General Hospital decided to establish a training school for nurses. At first, the program could be completed in one year; eventually, the program was expanded to include three years of course work. By 1931, the school had certified almost 2,000 nurses. This collection of duty registers of the Training School for Nurses of the Philadelphia General Hospital consists of fifteen bound volumes dating from 1885 to 1911. The volumes contain...
Identifier: MSS 6/005-07
Overview Until its closing, Philadelphia General Hospital (PGH) was the oldest institution in the United States in continuous service providing hospitalized care. Established in 1729, the Hospital had a long history dedicated to the care of the medically indigent of the city. In 1834, the institution moved from Center City to Blockley Township in West Philadelphia to the area that is now between 34th Street and University Avenue. At that time, it was renamed the Philadelphia Almshouse and Hospital and...
Dates: 1884 - 1941