Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 14
Identifier: MSS 2/344
Overview Edward Bell Krumbhaar (1882-1966) was a distinguished pathologist and cardiac physician, as well as one of Philadelphia’s leading historians of medicine. A founder of both the Section on Medical History of the College of Physicians and the American Association of the History of Medicine (AAHM), Krumbhaar also served as president of the College and of the AAHM. The E.B. Krumbhaar papers covers Krumbhaar’s accomplishments and contributions to pathology and cardiac physiology from the early to...
Dates: Majority of material found within 1899 - 1992; 1825 - 1992
Identifier: MSS 2/228-01
Scope and Contents This collection is the larger of two collections of Francis C. Wood's papers, the other being MSS 2/0228-02. This extensive collection (1892-1989) chronicles the life and career of a 20th century physician, scientist, soldier, administrator, and teacher. The collection is divided roughly evenly among the different phases of his life and career. Because Dr. Wood was a leader in both his community and profession, the collection documents the activities and functioning of many institutions and...
Dates: 1892 - 1989
Identifier: MSS 2/355
Overview Katharine Rosenbaum Guest Boucot Sturgis was born in Philadelphia, PA in 1903. She received her undergraduate degree from Pennsylvania State University and entered the Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania in 1935. She was forced to leave school when she contracted tuberculosis, but later resumed her studies and earned her medical degree in 1940. Sturgis became a Fellow of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia in 1951 and was elected its first female president in 1972. The Katharine R....
Dates: Majority of material found within 1948 - 1979; 1852 - 1985
Identifier: CPP 10/030
Overview The College of Physicians was founded in 1787 as a private medical society devoted to the advancement of medical education, research, and guidance of the medical profession itself. In order to help fulfill these goals, the College’s Fellowship have garnered impressive resources including a biomedical library in 1788, a medical museum in 1858, an institute for the history of medicine in 1976, and museum education programs in 2006. These resources are housed in a building constructed in 1909 at...
Dates: 1833-1995 (gaps)
Identifier: CPP 21
Overview The Records of Philly Health Info span the years 1999 to 2010, and include documentation from pre-planning phases of the project, background information, correspondence, advisory committee meeting minutes, grant funding reports, outreach and partnership files, and website design and maintenance details. The collection is divided into nine series, which resemble the original order in which the material was received. Researchers interested early 21st-century public health initiatives by...
Dates: 1999-2010; undated
Identifier: CPP 10/018-02
Overview The Building Committee of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia was appointed on 6 April 1904, shortly after the Fellows elected to construct a new College building on 22nd and Ludlow Streets in Philadelphia. The Building Committee continued to meet through 1914, when the furnishing and construction of the College building on 22nd Street was completed.Several short-term committees were established previously, while the decision was made to construct a new building and purchase...
Dates: 1859-1979; undated
Identifier: CPP 9/001-01
Overview The Office of the Executive Director is the lead office in charge of administering the business of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia. The Executive Director oversees the activities of the College of Physicians staff including staff of the Historical Medical Library, the Mütter Museum, the Francis Clark Wood Institute, and the Finance Department. The Executive Director also oversees the College functions of institutional advancement, communications, membership, and special events. As a...
Dates: Majority of material found within 1977 - 2002; 1951 - 2003
Identifier: CPP 14/001-01
Scope and Contents This collection of records of the Office of the Director of the Francis Clark Wood Institute for the History of Medicine spans 1879 to 1987. Included are the records of Ronald F. Kotrc, Director of the Institute from 1977 to 1982, and Diana E, Long, Director from 1983 to 1989.The papers of Ronald F. Kotrc span 1879 to 1982. Series 1 contains records of the F. C. Wood Institute, including plans for its establishment, agendas, minutes, and reports. Also present is correspondence...
Dates: 1879 - 1987; Majority of material found within 1977 - 1985
Identifier: CPP 14/002-01
Overview The Francis Clark Wood Institute for the History of Medicine was established in 1976 to promote to the scholarly community the rich historical resources of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia's historical library and the Mütter Museum. The Institute sponsors conferences, occasional seminars, and short-term travel grants to researchers who require the resources of the museum and library. This collection documents the operation and programs of the Francis Clark Wood Institute for the...
Dates: 1968 - 2005
Identifier: CPP 10/035
Overview The Institute for Advancement of Medical Communication (IAMC) was founded in 1958 as an independent, non-profit organization devoted solely to promoting better communication among biomedical and health science practitioners.On May 26, 1970, The Council of the College voted unanimously to assume the corporate administration of the IAMC with a Board of Directors under the Chairmanship of Dr. Francis C. Wood. The program was discontinued in late 1972 or 1973.The Records of...
Dates: 1968 - 1973