Skip to main content Skip to search results

Showing Collections: 1 - 6 of 6

Minutes of the Library Committee of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia

 Collection
Identifier: CPP 10/008-02
Overview The Library Committee of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia became a standing committee in 1834. At this time, the chairman of the Library Committee acted as the Librarian of the College. In 1863, the Office of the Librarian was created, and the duties of the Library Committee were reduced to the "general supervision of the Library of the College".

This collection (1951-1981) includes minutes, financial statements, and correspondence.

Records of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia Library

 Collection
Identifier: CPP 13/008-01
Overview Established in 1788, the Library of the College of Physicians served as Philadelphia's central medical library for over 150 years, serving medical schools, hospitals, physicians and other health professionals. Today, it is an independent research library devoted to the history of medicine and serves hundreds of scholars, health professionals, students and popular writers each year. The College of Physicians of Philadelphia Library records (1882 to 2005) extensively documents the administration...

Records of the Consumer Health Information Center (CHIC)

 Collection
Identifier: CPP 20
Overview In 1995, the C. Everett Koop Community Health Information Center (CHIC) opened, operated by the Katherine A. Shaw Public Services Division of the Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia. The CHIC was a community resource that provided the public with access to the latest information about medical and health concerns. Available resources included electronic information, journals, newsletters, pamphlets, videocassettes, and a circulating collection of books. The CHIC was operated...

Records of the Humanism in Medicine Program

 Series
Identifier: CPP 12/005-01
Overview The College of Physicians of Philadelphia developed the Humanism in Medicine Program to help enrich the curriculum of local medical schools in the area. This initiative was conceptualized in the early 2000s and ended in 2007, with funding supported by Horace W. Goldsmith and Arcadia Foundations. The Program aimed to bridge the arts and humanities with medicine, inviting visiting scholars, doubling as successful poets and writers, to present their compositions and artists to exhibit their...

Records of the Institute for Advancement of Medical Communication

 Collection
Identifier: CPP 10/035
Overview The Institute for Advancement of Medical Communication (IAMC) was founded in 1958 as an independent, non-profit organization devoted solely to promoting better communication among biomedical and health science practitioners.On May 26, 1970, The Council of the College voted unanimously to assume the corporate administration of the IAMC with a Board of Directors under the Chairmanship of Dr. Francis C. Wood. The program was discontinued in late 1972 or 1973.The Records of...

Records of the Wood Institute, Library, and Museum Committee

 Collection
Identifier: CPP 10/037-01
Overview Originally called the Library Advisory Committee, the Wood Institute, Library, and Museum (WILM) Committee was first established in 1998, as a result of the recommendations of the earlier Library Task Force. The purpose of the WILM Committee was “to oversee implementation of adopted recommendations and report through standing committees to the Council.” WILM held its first meeting on February 12, 1998.In May of 2001, the Committee voted to officially combine the Francis C. Wood...