Skip to main content

Presidential papers of George P. Rosemond

 Collection
Identifier: CPP 2/007-01
The collection contains George P, Rosemond's chronological file, 1978-1980, from his tenure as President of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia. The bulk of the file contains incoming and copies of outgoing letters as well as copies of letters sent by William F. Chaveas, Executive Director of the College.

The bulk of the correspondence concerns appointments to committees; acknowledgements of gifts and contributions, · particularly to the College Library's salvage fund for water-damaged books; the Thomas Dent Mutter Trust; the development of the Francis Clark Wood Institute for the History of Medicine and the College's Board of Advisors; the establishment of the Kenneth Appel Memorial Lectureship and the M, Louise Carpenter Gloeckner Memorial Trust; and fundraising efforts and grant proposals. Most.items contain notations on appropriate subject files where other copies of the correspondence are housed.

In addition to correspondence, the collection also includes internal College memoranda and minutes of Council, the Budget and Finance, Fellowship, Francis Clark Wood Institute Advisory, Library, Mutter Museum and College Collections, Planning and Development, Public Health and Preventive Medicine, and Women's committees, the Mid-Eastern Regional Medical Library Service (MERMLS) Board of Governance, and temporary or ad hoc committees, and reports of the College Sections.

Dates

  • 1978 - 1980

Creator

Extent

1.6 Linear feet (4 document boxes)

Biographical / Historical

The Office of the President of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia is first described in the 1787 constitution. The constitution states that the President "shall have power to call extraordinary Meetings whenever important, or unexpected Business shall require, of which he shall be the Judge", The constitution also states that the president was authorized to call a special session when requested by at least six Fellows. According to the 1834 by-laws, the president was responsible for presiding at College meetings and signing orders from the treasurer, but he could not discuss any questions while in the chair except when necessary to coae to a decision. This latter regulation was dropped from the 1863 by-laws, and new responsibilities were added in 1882, when the president was given "general supervision of the affairs of the College" and was required to present an annual address.

In 1886, due to the influence of president S, Weir Mitchell, the by-laws were again amended. Mitchell secured the right to be informed of all committee meetings and to attend them if he wished, Another of Mitchell's requests, for a five year presidential term, was never approved. The responsibilities of the president re•ained •uch the saae until 1914. In the by-laws of this year, the president's duty of "sign[ing] all warrants on the Treasurer" was omitted. 1925 marked a major change in the Office of the President; in this year, he was granted ex-officio membership in all standing committees and had the power to elect most committee members. The first regulation concerning the president's term was instituted in the 1935 by-laws, which state that no president aay serve more than three years in a row. Additional changes in the Office of the President did not occur until 1972. The by-laws of this year state that the president must publish his annual address, subait a yearly summary of ·the activities of the College, and "appoint all standing committees and designate the Chairmen", with the exception of the Noainating committee, The president's term was again restricted in the 1984 bylaws, which state that the president is liaited to one two year term. As of 1991, the president presides at meetings, appoints coaaittees and defines their duties, serves as an ex-officio meaber of all coaaittees, and has "all other duties and powers usually pertaining to the office".

Custodial History

The source of this collection is unknown. It was processed and catalogued in 1992.
Title
Presidential papers of George P. Rosemond

Repository Details

Part of the Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia Repository

Contact:
19 S. 22nd Street
Philadelphia PA 19103 United States
215-399-2001