Skip to main content

D. Hayes Agnew presidential address

 Collection
Identifier: CPP 2/008-01
Typescript address of D. Hayes Agnew (1818-1892), summarizing activities of College of Physicians of Philadelphia during 1890. Discusses papers delivered at College meetings, additions to Mütter Museum, accessions of Library, profits from Directory for Nurses, and names of Fellows who died during the year. Includes holograph notes, some belonging to S. Weir Mitchell (1829-1914), Vice President of the College, who delivered address to College in Agnew’s absence, 3 Dec. 1890.

Published as Annual Address of the President in Transactions of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia, ser. 3, vol. 12 (1890), pp. xxvii-xxxi.

Dates

  • 1890-12-03

Creator

Extent

1 folder

Biographical / Historical

The Office of the President of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia is first described in the 1787 constitution. The constitution states that the President "shall have power to call extraordinary Meetings whenever important, or unexpected Business shall require, of which he shall be the Judge", The constitution also states that the president was authorized to call a special session when requested by at least six Fellows. According to the 1834 by-laws, the president was responsible for presiding at College meetings and signing orders from the treasurer, but he could not discuss any questions while in the chair except when necessary to coae to a decision. This latter regulation was dropped from the 1863 by-laws, and new responsibilities were added in 1882, when the president was given "general supervision of the affairs of the College" and was required to present an annual address.

In 1886, due to the influence of president S, Weir Mitchell, the by-laws were again amended. Mitchell secured the right to be informed of all committee meetings and to attend them if he wished, Another of Mitchell's requests, for a five year presidential term, was never approved. The responsibilities of the president re•ained •uch the saae until 1914. In the by-laws of this year, the president's duty of "sign[ing] all warrants on the Treasurer" was omitted. 1925 marked a major change in the Office of the President; in this year, he was granted ex-officio membership in all standing committees and had the power to elect most committee members. The first regulation concerning the president's term was instituted in the 1935 by-laws, which state that no president aay serve more than three years in a row. Additional changes in the Office of the President did not occur until 1972. The by-laws of this year state that the president must publish his annual address, subait a yearly summary of ·the activities of the College, and "appoint all standing committees and designate the Chairmen", with the exception of the Noainating committee, The president's term was again restricted in the 1984 bylaws, which state that the president is liaited to one two year term. As of 1991, the president presides at meetings, appoints coaaittees and defines their duties, serves as an ex-officio meaber of all coaaittees, and has "all other duties and powers usually pertaining to the office".
Title
D. Hayes Agnew presidential address

Repository Details

Part of the Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia Repository

Contact:
19 S. 22nd Street
Philadelphia PA 19103 United States
215-399-2001