Skip to main content

Records of the Building Committee

Identifier: CPP 10/018-01

Scope and Contents

The collection, including minutes, reports, correspondence, construction specifications, contracts, and related material, documents the work of the Building Committee, 1861-1864, and the construction of the Hall of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia. Most of this material was produced by Isaac Hays, chairman of the committee.

Notable items include the Building Committee's minute book, 24 February 1862-2 February 1864, which contains details of all alterations to the construction plans and decisions of the Committee on matters of interior design and furnishing; the final report of the Committee, 2 February 1864, containing a lengthy history of the College's decision to build and fund raising efforts; a deed poll, dated 20 May 1863 and signed by Mary W. A. Mütter, attesting to her satisfaction with the building; and correspondence with architect James H. Windrim and local contractors, including Michael Errickson, concerning estimates and costs of the work.


  • 1861 - 1864


Biographical / Historical

A committee to entertain construction proposals and oversee the erection of a permanent fireproof building to house the Mütter Museum and Library of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia was appointed on 18 December 1861. The committee, headed by Isaac Hays, was composed of Franklin Bache, George Fox, Edward Hartshorne, who acted as secretary, George w. Norris, John Rodman Paul, and George Bacon Wood. The site for the building was on the northeast corner of 13th and Locust Streets.

The Building Committee was empowered to make contractual agreements, solicit additional contributions to the College's Building Fund, inspect the construction site, make any desirable changes in the construction plans, supervise the relocation and rental of rooms, and hire a caretaker during construction and a janitor once construction was completed. Plans for the building had been submitted by architect James H. Windrim and adopted by the College in 1861. The Building Committee retained Windrim to superintend construction and hired Michael Errickson as contractor.

By February 1864, the building was completed and minor interior furnishing only remained. The total cost of construction and furnishing was $26,350. The Committee was discharged by the College on 3 February 1864.


.4 Linear feet (1 box)

Language of Materials


Custodial History

This collection of records was transferred to the College of Physicians of Philadelphia by the Building Committee at the time of its release, 3 February 1864.

The collection was processed and catalogued in 1991.
Records of the Building Committee
Language of description
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia Repository

19 S. 22nd Street
Philadelphia PA 19103 United States