Skip to main content

Minutes of the Library Committee of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia

 Collection
Identifier: CPP 10/008-02

Scope and Contents

Minutes of Library Committee of College of Physicians of Philadelphia, 1951-1981, with reports of Library Administration and Historical Department, financial statements, and correspondence, documenting growth, development, and financial status of College Library. Minutes concern fund-raising, grants, personnel, salaries, budgets, and space and security needs and describe establishment of Medical Documentation Service (MDS), participation in Mid-Eastern Regional Medical Library Service (MERMLS), and library automation projects. Monthly reports of Library Administration provide statistics on accessions, circulation, receipts, and patrons. Reports of Historical Department list accessions, donors, security, exhibits, cataloging statistics, and use of collections. Includes monthly financial reports, listing titles and prices for books and serials purchased, and correspondence of committee chairmen, Dorothy I. Lansing and Jonathan E. Rhoads, and Librarian Elliott H. Morse.

Researchers should note that beeen October 1973 and October 1974, no formal minutes were kept.

Dates

  • 1951 - 1981

Creator

Biographical / Historical

The Library Committee of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia became a standing committee in 1834. The by-laws of this year state that the Library Committee "shall attend to the increase and preservation of the Library...they shall purchase books and carry into effect all such regulations pertaining to the Library...and shall present a report upon its condition". At this time, the chairman of the Library Committee acted as the Librarian of the College. In 1863, the Office of the Librarian was created, and the duties of the Library Committee were reduced to the "general supervision of the Library of the College". Also during this year, the Committee became responsible for providing an estimate of the Library’s annual expenses. In 1870, due to an increasing demand for the Library’s resources, it was decided that a member of the Committee would attend in the Library daily and receive an annual salary for his services. The Office of the Honorary Librarian was created in 1882; at this time, the Library Committee became responsible for appointing an "Assistant Librarian" who also served as secretary of the Committee. In 1935, the by-laws were again amended to state that the Library Committee "shall have charge of the Library of the College, its quarters, their furnishings, and such relics and collections as are not otherwise provided for". In 1959, the Library Committee began to operate "under the direction of the Council" and became responsible for nominating both a Librarian and a Curator of the Library’s Historical Collections. As of 1972, the Library Committee was no longer responsible for these nominations. In 1990, the responsibilities of the Library Committee were transferred to the College’s Committee on Program.

Extent

2.8 Linear feet (7 document boxes)

Language of Materials

English

Overview

The Library Committee of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia became a standing committee in 1834. At this time, the chairman of the Library Committee acted as the Librarian of the College. In 1863, the Office of the Librarian was created, and the duties of the Library Committee were reduced to the "general supervision of the Library of the College".

This collection (1951-1981) includes minutes, financial statements, and correspondence.
Title
Minutes of the Library Committee of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia Repository

Contact:
19 S. 22nd Street
Philadelphia PA 19103 United States
215-399-2001