Skip to main content

William Hutt address to the 7th International Congress on Tuberculosis

 Collection
Identifier: MSS 2/098

Scope and Contents

Holograph, 24 p., and typescript copy, 10 p., of Hutt’s address to 7th International Congress on Tuberculosis, Rome, Italy, 1911. Hutt describes his work in the 1870s with Philadelphia Protestant Episcopal City Mission to establish first hospital for consumptives at the House of Mercy and promote outdoor method of treatment for tuberculosis.

Dates

  • 1911

Creator

Biographical / Historical

William H. Hutt, pioneer in tuberculosis treatment, was born in 1847. He received his M.D. from the University of Pennsylvania in 1870. Hutt died on 12 Apr. 1917. In the 1870s, Hutt organized a clinic for consumptives in Southwark, Philadelphia, and, in 1873, established the Diet Kitchen for the Sick at the Church Dispensary of Southwark. He worked with Rev. Samuel Durborow to establish a care facility for consumptives at the House of Mercy. In 1877, Hutt established a sanitorium for children at Point Airy, an island in the Delaware River. From 18791880, he operated a dispensary at 812 Walnut Street in Philadelphia.

Extent

1 folder

Language of Materials

English

Physical Location

Small collections
Title
William Hutt address to the 7th International Congress on Tuberculosis
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia Repository

Contact:
19 S. 22nd Street
Philadelphia PA 19103 United States
215-399-2001