Skip to main content Skip to search results

Showing Collections: 1 - 8 of 8

Records of Committees of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia

 Collection
Identifier: CPP 10/030
Overview The College of Physicians was founded in 1787 as a private medical society devoted to the advancement of medical education, research, and guidance of the medical profession itself. In order to help fulfill these goals, the College’s Fellowship have garnered impressive resources including a biomedical library in 1788, a medical museum in 1858, an institute for the history of medicine in 1976, and museum education programs in 2006. These resources are housed in a building constructed in 1909 at...

Records of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia Library I

 Collection
Identifier: CPP 13/008-01
Overview Established in 1788, the Library of the College of Physicians served as Philadelphia's central medical library for over 150 years, serving medical schools, hospitals, physicians and other health professionals. Today, it is an independent research library devoted to the history of medicine and serves hundreds of scholars, health professionals, students and popular writers each year. The College of Physicians of Philadelphia Library records (1882 to 2005) extensively documents the administration...

Records of the Curator of Historical Collections

 Series
Identifier: CPP 13/006-02
Scope and Contents The collection contains records from 1954-1973, encompassing McDaniel's tenure as Curator of the College of Physicians' Historical Collection. Unless otherwise noted, the records are arranged by year or group of years, and then alphabetically and chronologically by correspondent. (In most cases where this system is not in place, materials are arranged chronologically.) Records of McDaniel's tenure as Librarian are cataloged separately. There is overlap between the dates of McDaniel's papers as...

Records of the Institute for Advancement of Medical Communication

 Collection
Identifier: CPP 10/035
Overview The Institute for Advancement of Medical Communication (IAMC) was founded in 1958 as an independent, non-profit organization devoted solely to promoting better communication among biomedical and health science practitioners.On May 26, 1970, The Council of the College voted unanimously to assume the corporate administration of the IAMC with a Board of Directors under the Chairmanship of Dr. Francis C. Wood. The program was discontinued in late 1972 or 1973.The Records of...

Records of the Office of the Librarian I

 Series
Identifier: CPP 13/001-01
Scope and Contents This collection of records of the Librarian of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia, spanning 1855 to 1909, consists of correspondence, lists of accessions and subscriptions, and miscellaneous material. Included in the collection are the papers of librarians Thomas Hewson Bache (1855-1863), C. S. Boker (1864), J. H. Slack (1865-1867), Robert Bridges (1868-1881), Frank Woodbury (1881-1882), and Charles Perry Fisher (1882-1932).Included in the correspondence are numerous letters...

Records of the Office of the Librarian II

 Series
Identifier: CPP 13/006-01
Scope and Contents The collection contains records from 1931 to the 1970s, the bulk of the records dated during McDaniel's tenure as Librarian (1933-1953). Unless otherwise noted, the records are arranged by year or group of years, and then alphabetically and chronologically by correspondent. (In most cases where this system is not in place, materials are arranged chronologically.) Records of McDaniel's tenure as Curator are cataloged separately. There is overlap between the dates of McDaniel's papers as...

Records of the Office of the Librarian III

 Series
Identifier: CPP 13/007-01
Scope and Contents The collection contains records from 1948-1981, encompassing Morse's career at the Library of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia, primarily as Librarian. The contents of some boxes of records in this collection were haphazard; many boxes, however, had clear indications of Morse's filing system, and where discernible, this arrangement was preserved.The collection contains a great deal of information on Morse, who appears as a conscientious administrator, a librarian dedicated...

Records of the Wood Institute, Library, and Museum Committee

 Collection
Identifier: CPP 10/037-01
Overview Originally called the Library Advisory Committee, the Wood Institute, Library, and Museum (WILM) Committee was first established in 1998, as a result of the recommendations of the earlier Library Task Force. The purpose of the WILM Committee was “to oversee implementation of adopted recommendations and report through standing committees to the Council.” WILM held its first meeting on February 12, 1998.In May of 2001, the Committee voted to officially combine the Francis C. Wood...