Showing Collections: 1 - 9 of 9
Identifier: MSS 423
Overview D. Stratton Woodruff M.D. (1924-2006) specialized in family medicine in the Bryn Mawr area of Pennsylvania. In 1975, he co-founded the Bryn Mawr Family Practice Residency program with Dr. Ian Ballard. As of now (2019), the program continues to train doctors in family medicine practice. The D. Stratton Woodruff Papers span from the 1930s to 1986. The small collection includes four quarantine signs circa 1930s and a copy of the script of a speech Dr. Woodruff delivered at his Lower...
Dates: 1930 - 1986
Identifier: MSS 2/262
Scope and Contents This collection of spectro chrome metry materials, spanning 1936 to 1941, consists of photographs, a scrapbook of correspondence between the Spectro Chrome Institute and an individual who had purchased a spectro chrome, and miscellaneous items. Some of these items were used as evidence in the November 1946 trial which resulted in Ghadiali's indictment on charges of "false and misleading" claims in his literature.Series 1 contains three photographs of the spectro chrome, a...
Dates: 1936 - 1941
Identifier: MSS 2/336
Scope and Contents The collection contains correspondencem typescripts, ephemera, photogrphs and slides, memoranda, and records of operations. It documents the career of Murtagh and many of the operations and procedures within the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (HUP), the hospital at Temple University, and the College of Physicians of Philadelphia. Mostly, the collection concerns Murtagh's work as a neurosurgeon at HUP. The history of procedures he performed is well covered as are his...
Dates: 1947 - 1996
Identifier: MSS 385
Overview George W. Merchant, a druggist, began manufacturing his Gargling Oil in Lockport, NY, in 1833. Merchant’s Gargling Oil was not meant to be gargled, as the name suggests, but used as a liniment. Like many 19th-century patent medicines, it was advertised to effectively treat numerous ailments, including rheumatism, burns and scalds, flesh wounds, toothaches, cracked heels, hemorrhoids, and sprains and bruises.Around 1855, Merchant sold the business to M. H. Tucker, who continued...
Dates: 1856-1857; 1870
Identifier: MSS 2/278
Scope and Contents This collection of materials concerning the Anderson Hospital spans 1917 to 1943. Included are photographs of the hospital's facilities, form letters with information about the opening of the hospital (ca. 1917), a clipping describing a fire at the hospital (1924), and an illustrated brochure (ca. 1943).Series 1 includes photographs of the Anderson Hospital taken sometime between 1917 and 1921, when it was still called the Pennsylvania Orthopaedic Hospital and School of...
Dates: 1917 - circa 1943
Records of the Philadelphia General Hospital Osler Memorial and Blockley Historical Museum Committee
Identifier: MSS 6/005-05
Overview The Osler Memorial and Blockley Historical Museum Committee was established in December 1940. The committee was responsible for the daily administration of the Osler Memorial and Blockley Historical Museum of the Philadelphia General Hospital. The committee attended to the maintenance of the museum building, oversaw the care and cataloging of museum pieces, and acknowledged donations to the museum. This committee reported to the Medical Board of the Philadelphia General Hospital. This...
Dates: 1730 - 1960
Identifier: MSS 2/037-05
Overview Samuel X Radbill (1901-1987) began his medical career as a general practitioner in 1926 and became a pediatrician in 1938, when he was certified by the American Board of Pediatrics. Radbill was perhaps better known as a medical historian, and collector of bookplates and old and rare medical texts than as a pediatrician. He believed that the study of medicine’s past was useful to its practice, and he encouraged many of his professional colleagues to examine the history of their specialties. The...
Dates: Majority of material found within 1800 - 1987; 1635 - 1987
Identifier: MSS 415
Overview In South Philadelphia, at the corner of Washington Avenue and Swanson Street, a neighborhood grocer named Barzilai Brown began distributing food to soldiers traveling to and from the nearby Navy Yard and railroads. This operation, originally referred to as “Brown’s,” became the Union Volunteer Refreshment Saloon on May 27, 1861. The establishment grew and became a place of rest, relaxation, and, of course, refreshment for travel-weary soldiers, whom the saloon provided with food, drink, paper,...
Identifier: MSS 2/076-01-06
Scope and Contents The William W. Keen papers are comprised of six separate collections, including correspondence, photographs, diaries, and newsclippings. Much of the correspondence deals with eithr family matters or the controversy vivisection. For more detail on the materials contained the Keen papers, please see the "Scope and Content" note for each series.
Dates: 1855 - 1932
- Subject: Ephemera X
- Philadelphia General Hospital 2
- Amercian Medical Association 1
- Anderson Hospital 1
- Anderson Hospital and College of Physio-Therapy 1
- Blockley Almshouse 1
- Bower, John L. (John Lincoln) 1
- Children's Hospital of Philadelphia 1
- College of Physicians of Philadelphia 1
- Dorland, W.A. Newman (William Alexander Newman) 1
- Ghadiali, Dinshah P. 1
- Githens, William H.H. (William Henry Harrison) 1
- Hunter, Robert J. (Robert John) 1
- Jefferson Medical College. Surgical Clinic 1
- Keen, William W. (William Williams) 1
- M. H. Tucker and Company 1
- Murtagh, Frederick 1
- Osler, William, Sir 1
- Pennsylvania Orthopaedic Hospital and School of Mechano-Therapy 1
- Radbill, Samuel X. 1
- Roberts, Thomas S. (Thomas Sadler) 1
- Spectochrome Institute 1
- Stevens, Arthur A. (Arthur Albert) 1
- U.S.S. Relief 1
- Union Volunteer Refreshment Saloon and Hospital (Philadelphia, Pa.) 1
- University of Pennsylvania. Hospital 1
- University of Pennsylvania. Hospital. Department of Neurology 1
- University of Pennsylvania. Hospital. Neurological Center 1
- University of Pennsylvania. Hospital. Neurosurgical Intensive Care Unit 1 ∧ less