Medical libraries -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia
Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 28 Collections and/or Records:
Identifier: CPP 12/005-01
Overview The College of Physicians of Philadelphia developed the Humanism in Medicine Program to help enrich the curriculum of local medical schools in the area. This initiative was conceptualized in the early 2000s and ended in 2007, with funding supported by Horace W. Goldsmith and Arcadia Foundations. The Program aimed to bridge the arts and humanities with medicine, inviting visiting scholars, doubling as successful poets and writers, to present their compositions and artists to exhibit their...
Dates: 1986 - 2007; Majority of material found within 2002 - 2007
Identifier: CPP 10/035
Overview The Institute for Advancement of Medical Communication (IAMC) was founded in 1958 as an independent, non-profit organization devoted solely to promoting better communication among biomedical and health science practitioners.On May 26, 1970, The Council of the College voted unanimously to assume the corporate administration of the IAMC with a Board of Directors under the Chairmanship of Dr. Francis C. Wood. The program was discontinued in late 1972 or 1973.The Records of...
Dates: 1968 - 1973
Identifier: CPP 10/008-03
Overview The Library Committee of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia became a standing committee in 1834. The by-laws of this year state that the Library Committee "shall attend to the increase and preservation of the Library...they shall purchase books and carry into effect all such regulations pertaining to the Library...and shall present a report upon its condition". At this time, the chairman of the Library Committee acted as the Librarian of the College. In 1863, the Office of the Librarian...
Identifier: CPP 13/008-03
Overview This small collection of Library records was previously catalogued as separate items and as bound manuscripts. Included in this collection Library rules for the early twentieth century; classification and cataloguing rules and guidelines, perepared by former Librarian Charles Perry Fisher; correspondence relating to the retirement of former Librarian W. B. McDaniel in 1973; and visitor logs dating from 1895 to 1953.
Dates: 1882-1975; Majority of material found in 1882; 1902-1922
Identifier: CPP 10/037-01
Overview Originally called the Library Advisory Committee, the Wood Institute, Library, and Museum (WILM) Committee was first established in 1998, as a result of the recommendations of the earlier Library Task Force. The purpose of the WILM Committee was “to oversee implementation of adopted recommendations and report through standing committees to the Council.” WILM held its first meeting on February 12, 1998.In May of 2001, the Committee voted to officially combine the Francis C. Wood...
Identifier: CPP 13/011
Overview Established in 1788, the Library of the College of Physicians served as Philadelphia's central medical library for over 150 years, serving medical schools, hospitals, physicians and other health professionals. Today, it is an independent research library devoted to the history of medicine and serves hundreds of scholars, health professionals, students and popular writers each year.The Reports of the Honorary Librarian and Library Committee span the years 1836 through February 1951. ...
Identifier: CPP 13/010-08
Identifier: MSS 430
Overview William Williams Keen, surgeon and neurologist, was born on 19 January 1837 in Philadelphia. He was the third son of merchant William W. Keen and Susan (Budd) Keen. Keen married Emma Corinna Borden in 1867; they had four daughters, Corinne, Florence, Dora, and Margaret. William W. Keen died on 7 June 1932.Keen graduated from Brown University in 1859. He entered Jefferson Medical College in 1860, left in 1861 to become Surgeon to the 5th Massachusetts Regiment, then returned to...
Dates: 1876-1927; undated