Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
Found in 6 Collections and/or Records:
Identifier: MSS 6/012
Scope and Contents The Collection contains a single volume, 1862-1919, originally used as a patient register for wounded U.S. Civil War soldiers recovering at Philadelphia (Pa.) area military and civilian hospitals. It was later used as a scrapbook for newspaper clippings. The patient register is in the handwriting of wartime nurse Hiram J. Noyes. The wounded are listed by hospital, but there are multiple lists for each hospital in no identifiable order. There is no index. Among the hospitals included are St....
Dates: 1862 - 1919
Identifier: CPP 13/016-01
Dates: circa 1889-1915
Identifier: MSS 6/004
Scope and Contents Number of cases / variables--7 case variables:; name of variable--patient name, date of admission, person responsible, weekly charge, date of discharge, amount due, remarks on the case.Monthly records kept by matron for patients admitted to Fall River Hospital, 1898 Nov. 15- Oct. 30. Many patients were charity cases. Records of outpatient service included. Includes undated report concerning advisability of retaining a lawyer to collect accounts and procedures for handling...
Dates: 1898 - 1900
Identifier: MSS 6/005-04
Overview In September 1883, the Board of Guardians of Philadelphia General Hospital decided to establish a training school for nurses. At first, the program could be completed in one year; eventually, the program was expanded to include three years of course work. By 1931, the school had certified almost 2,000 nurses. This collection of duty registers of the Training School for Nurses of the Philadelphia General Hospital consists of fifteen bound volumes dating from 1885 to 1911. The volumes contain...
Identifier: CPP 1/012
Identifier: MSS 6/005-07
Overview Until its closing, Philadelphia General Hospital (PGH) was the oldest institution in the United States in continuous service providing hospitalized care. Established in 1729, the Hospital had a long history dedicated to the care of the medically indigent of the city. In 1834, the institution moved from Center City to Blockley Township in West Philadelphia to the area that is now between 34th Street and University Avenue. At that time, it was renamed the Philadelphia Almshouse and Hospital and...
Dates: 1884 - 1941