Skip to main content

Records of the Trustees of the Building Fund

Identifier: CPP 10/019-01

Scope and Contents

The collection, 1849-1863, contains minute books, reports, a cashbook, and some miscellaneous financial papers, including receipts, a list of securities, and a draft of the 1859 extension of the deed of trust, documenting the decisions, investments, labors, and fund raising activities of the Trustees of the Building Fund of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia. Most of this material was produced by George Bacon Wood, as chairman of the trustees, or George Fox; as treasurer.


  • 1849 - 1863


Biographical / Historical

At a meeting of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia on 6 November 1849, George Fox proposed the formation of a committee to determine the cost of a lot and construction of a building as a permanent home for the institution. The committee reported that $20,000 would be needed and recommended that a trust be established with the College's securities and additional funds raised over the course of several years until the amount required to build was collected. On 15 January 1850, George Fox, J, Rodman Paul, and George Bacon Wood were elected Trustees of the Building Fund and empowered to receive and invest all funds for purchase and construction. A related body, the Committee of Collections for the Trust Fund, was also formed at this time.

In 1859, the Building Fund had reached $21,545, and the trust was continued for five more years. In 1860, a lot at 13th and Locust Streets was purchased and the deed delivered to the trustees. An adjacent lot was purchased in the following year. In December 1861, the College resolved to build but also continue fund raising efforts. The Hall of the College of Physicians was completed and occupied in March 1863. The trust was then annulled, and all proceeds from the sale of its securities were transferred to the College's Building Committee. The Trustees of the Building Fund were discharged by the College at its meeting on 4 March 1863.


.4 Linear feet (1 box)

Language of Materials


Custodial History

The records of the Trustees of the Building Fund were transferred to the College of Physicians of Philadelphia by the trustees circa 17 February 1863 and "as soon as the new College Hall shall be finished and provided with a safe place for the preservation of the archives, the title papers, minutes of proceedings, and other papers belonging to or in the keeping of the Trustees shall be deposited among the archives of the College."

The collection was processed and catalogued in 1991.
Records of the Trustees of the Building Fund
Language of description
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia Repository

19 S. 22nd Street
Philadelphia PA 19103 United States